Petes and Steelheads Lock Horns in Game One Nailbiter

The Eastern Conference Final began on Thursday, April 20 with the second seed Mississauga Steelheads visiting the top-ranked Peterborough Petes for game one. With the Petes a perfect 8-0 in the post-season, and the Steelheads 6-0 on the road in the playoffs, someone’s streak was going to end, and it was Peterborough’s as the Fish rode two quick third period goals to a 5-3 win.

Twelve minutes of timid, pedestrian hockey was played before the series’ first goal was scored at 12:57 in the opening frame. Peterborough-native Owen Tippett, with his fifth goal of the playoffs, lit the lamp from Jacob Moverare to give the Steelheads a 1-0 lead in the first. It would be the only tally of the opening twenty, with Peterborough killing a late-frame penalty to keep the score 1-0 and the shots 11-8 in Mississauga’s favour.

The second period yielded the Petes’ first goal of the series, but it took two tries to materialize. After Nikita Korostelev hit the post on a one-timer, he followed his shot and set up Steve Lorentz with a wide-open net to tie the game at 1-1. Semyon Der-Arguchintsev also had an assist on the play.

The Petes leapfrogged into the lead as SDA picked up another assist, this time finding Lorentz who returned the favour with an apple on Korostelev’s goal. The Maple Leafs pick made no mistake, freezing Matt Mancina in his goal as he walked in to take advantage of a 5-on-3.

The Steelheads tied the game on another odd-man-rush. This time, Spencer Watson out-waited the Petes’ to score from Mikey McLeod with a bullet from the slot, and with 53 seconds left in the period, Ryan McLeod tipped in the go-ahead goal on a powerplay from brother Mikey and Ville Saarijarvi. After two periods the Steelheads were up 3-2 and held a 21-20 lead in shots.

The Lift Lock Lads had an early third period powerplay, but failed to convert as fans cheered for a game-tying-tally. Der-Arguchintsev delivered with his third point of the game, scoring on a rebound from Lorentz and Kyle Jenkins with eight minutes to play, but quick goals from Spencer Watson (both McLeods assisted) and Mikey McLeod gave Mississauga a 5-3 win.

Mikey McLeod, Lorentz, and Watson were the first, second, and third stars, respectively, and Der-Arguchintsev was the Mark’s hardest working player of the game. The final shots on goal were 34-28 for the Trout.

Game two is on for Saturday, April 22 at 7:05pm in Peterborough. Tickets are still on sale online, or by visiting the Peterborough Memorial Centre Collins Barrow Box Office in person or by phoning (705) 743-3561. Don’t forget to download the free Petes Mobile App for iPhone or Android and use rewards code “Rd3Gm1” to earn rewards points.

More News
NHL Draft Preview: Declan Chisholm
1 day ago
NHL Draft Preview: Semyon Der-Arguchintsev
2 days ago
Bob Gainey Named Senior Advisor to Peterborough Petes Board of Directors
3 days ago
Coaches Verner and Walser to Remain with Petes
4 days ago
NHL Draft Preview: Pavel Gogolev
4 days ago
Petes Alumnus Prepped to Lead Team's Resurgence
7 days ago