Wolves Edge Petes 4-3 in Shootout

The Peterborough Petes travelled to Sudbury on Friday night to take on the Wolves. The teams have split the season series so far, with the Petes winning the most recent match-up 4-3 in overtime. The Wolves returned the favour on this night, edging the Petes 4-3 in a game that required a shoot-out. 

The Petes carried the momentum from their Thursday night blow-out win against Kitchener into the Nickel City, and it took only 1:13 in the first period for Stephen Pierog to net his seventh goal of the season from Captain Connor Boland. Just three minutes later, defenceman Nelson Armstrong, who sat second among OHL defenceman in assists with 15 heading into the game, scored his first goal of the campaign drawing assists from Greg Betzold and Michael Clarke. Nick Ritchie completed the Petes’ first period trifecta with a powerplay goal assisted by Eric Cornel and Jonatan Tanus at the 8:59 mark.

The second half of the frame ticked past without much action, as Petes’ starter Andrew D’Agostini made 11 saves in the period while Franky Palazzese finished the period strong making a total of 12 saves.

The Wolves came out for the second period with a clear jump in their step, and although both squads registered several high quality scoring chances, Sudbury was the only team able to get on the board. Nathan Pancel scored his 21st goal of the season assisted by Mathew Campagna and Stefan LeBlanc to bring the score to 3-1. D’Agostini made 17 saves with Palazzese registering 14 stops in the middle period.

The Petes were again on their heels in the third period, trying to protect the two-goal lead. Dominik Kahun registered his first goal of the season from Nick Baptiste and Kyle Capobianco at the 4:15 mark, and with constant pressure the Wolves tied the game at three goals apiece with a goal from Baptiste assisted by Campagna and Pancel. The clock would tick to zero with no more goals on the game sheet, with D’Agostini and Palazzese recording nine and ten saves, respectively, sending the game to overtime.

The four-on-four OT session was, predictably, full of chances, but neither team could put the puck in the back of the net and the teams prepared for the all-deciding shoot-out. The Nicks – Ritchie and Baptiste – both missed the net in the first round, and Jonatan Tanus was stopped by Palazzese in the second round. In the third round, Sudbury’s Kahun put one past D’Agostini, and Greg Betzold couldn’t tie it up for the Petes, giving Sudbury the 4-3 shoot-out win.

D’Agostini made 48 saves on the evening in the loss, while Palazzese stopped 36 shots for the win, and the two earned second and first star honours, respectively, as Dominik Kahun was named the game’s third star. The Petes travel to Sault Ste. Marie to take on the Greyhounds on Saturday night for their third game in three nights. You can follow the action live on Extra 90.5 or by tuning in to Cogeco TV, and don’t forget to follow the Petes on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram for the latest news and info. 

More News
Petes Announce Addition to Business Operations Staff
3 days ago
2017-18 OHL Social Media Year in Review
1 week ago
OHL 20 in 20 Futures Watch: Peterborough Petes
1 week ago
SPORTSNET: Der-Arguchintsev trying to be like Marner
1 week ago
Taking a Chance on Todd
2 weeks ago
Roger's Impact: Five alumni comment on how they were shaped by Neilson
2 weeks ago