Petes Can’t Weather Thursday Night Storm in Guelph

The Petes kicked off the second half of the 2017-18 season in Guelph on Thursday night, falling 3-1 to the Storm.

IMG_4818Adrien Beraldo had some tough luck early when he cleared the puck over the glass, earning him a delay of game call just 1:38 into the game. Guelph was able to take advantage of Peterborough’s misfortune, as Isaac Ratcliffe opened scoring at 2:23 to take an early 1-0 lead.

The Petes were rewarded with a power play of their own when Liam Hawel was penalized for roughing at 3:42 after pushing down a Pete in front of Storm goaltender Anthony Popovich.

After cycling in their zone, Peterborough’s offense was able to break out. Following a pass from Jonathan Ang, Nikita Korostelev entered the high slot. He released a quick snap shot that went bar down behind Popovich to tie the game at 1 at 4:19 on the power play. Matt Timms earned a secondary assist on the play.

Korostelev celebrated his fourteenth goal of the season with a tripping infraction, sending Peterborough’s penalty killing unit back to work. The Petes were able to kill the penalty, and the Storm were able to do the same on two ensuing high sticking charges by Cam Hillis and Zach Poirier.

The Petes led the shot clock 10-8 after 20 minutes of play.

IMG_4834The second frame was much more disciplined, as each team was able to stay out of the sin bin. The goal sheet, however, saw two more markers from the Storm.

Ratcliffe netted his second of the night at 2:00. He jumped on a rebound that resulted from a point shot after the Petes misplayed the puck when attempting to clear their zone. Guelph’s third of the night was redirected in front of Wells by Tag Bertuzzi.

The shot clock was even at 20 through 40 minutes of hockey.

Chances were plentiful for both clubs through the final frame. Dylan Wells made key stops, including an early shorthanded breakaway, to keep his team’s hopes alive.

The opponents swapped penalties in the middle of the period – Ratcliffe for interference, and Pavel Gogolev for hooking.

Wells got the call to vacate his net with just under 1:30 remaining in the game as the Petes made a final push to tie the game, but the game would end with a 3-1 score in favour of the Storm.

Peterborough’s final shots on net were 29, to Guelph’s 33.


Ratcliffe, Bertuzzi, and Korostelev were named the game’s first, second, and third stars, respectively.

The men in maroon return to the PMC ice on Saturday, December 30 at 7:05pm for a rematch with the Ottawa 67’s in their final home game of 2017. Game tickets are available starting at $8 through the Collins Barrow PMC Box Office, online, or by phone at (705) 743-3561.

More News
Meet the Prospects 2019: Ryan Cutler
3 days ago
Community First: Ian Armstrong explores the life lessons he learned with the Petes
4 days ago
Peterborough Petes Millbrook Pre-Season Game Tickets SOLD OUT
6 days ago
Peterborough Petes Millbrook Pre-Season Game Tickets On Sale Now
1 week ago
Meet the Prospects 2019: Chase MacIntyre
1 week ago
Peterborough Petes Nominated for Peterborough Business Excellence Award
2 weeks ago