Petes Go All the Way versus North Bay to Pick Up Point

The Petes went all the way to a shootout with the North Bay Battalion on Sunday afternoon. Despite giving up two, two-goal leads, the maroon and white picked up a point, and finished the weekend with 5 of 6 possible points.

It was all Battalion in the first five minutes of the afternoon, as they fired 4 shots while the Petes failed to get one towards Christian Propp with North Bay clogging up the neutral zone.

North Bay’s power play platoon was sent to work after Saturday’s two-goal scorer, Chris Paquette, tripped up a member of the Troops at 6:59. The Petes were able to box them out, though, and successfully killed the first infraction of the game.

Justin Brazeau came close to opening scoring midway through the frame when he rang a shot from the slot off the post, but the hockey gods appeared to be on Peterborough’s side.

The Battalion were given their second man advantage opportunity of the period as Zach Gallant held on to a guy in green for a few seconds too long at 14:33, but again, the Petes were able to prevent the Troops from scoring the game’s first goal.

After 20 minutes of play, North Bay led the shot clock 11-2.

The Liftlock Lads came out for the second frame determined to duplicate Saturday’s offensive prowess.

Early in the period, Nikita Korostelev forced a turnover behind North Bay’s net. Korostelev backhanded the puck to the slot, where Pavel Gogolev was able elevate the puck over Propp’s glove to put the Petes up 1-0 just 49 seconds into the second.

As the Petes continued to maintain control of the game, Matt Timms patiently waited behind the net as his teammates got set for the next play. Seeing a fresh pair of legs on the ice in Bobby Dow, Timms sprung Dow with a stretch pass down the middle of the ice. Dow went in alone, and making no mistake on the breakaway, also went over Propp’s trapper, extending Peterborough’s lead to 2-0.

The Battalion continued to be the more disciplined team, as Matt McNamara was penalized for holding at 5:49. Peterborough’s penalty killers, though, were once again up to the task of shutting down the Troops to maintain their two-goal lead.

Shortly after play was restored to even strength, though, the Battalion got on the board. Adam McMaster, who had the most points against the Petes this season heading into Sunday’s game, cut Peterborough’s lead in half at 10:28.

The Electric City Kids were afforded their first power play of the afternoon as Riley Bruce was sent away for checking from behind. With five forwards on the ice for most of their man advantage chance, the Petes had the Battalion on their toes, but couldn’t convert.

Peterborough registered more shots than the Troops through the second stanza and led 2-1 on the score clock, but continued to be out-shot by the Battalion 18-12 through 40 minutes of play.

The Petes were, twice, put back on the power play as both Luke Burghardt and Luke Moncada were charged with high sticking. During the latter penalty, Nick Robertson fed Semyon Der-Aruguchintsev in the far circle. SDA let a quick shot go that made its way past Propp, restoring Peterborough’s two-goal lead at 9:10.

Shortly after scoring his seventh goal of the season, Der-Arguchintsev was penalized for holding at 10:07. North Bay capitalized on the opportunity when Riley Bruce finished off a D to D to D passing play with his fifth marker of the season.

With just under two minutes to play, Propp was called to the bench by his coaches to add the extra skater in an effort to tie the game.

Korostelev came close to finding the back of the empty net, twice, but the hockey gods appeared to have then been favouring the Battalion, as somehow their defenders were able keep the play alive.

With 11 seconds left in the third period, North Bay tied the game at 3 when Jake Henderson snuck into the slot to pick up a rebound.

In three-on-three overtime, Wells stood tall to numerous quality scoring chances by the Battalion. Korostelev had a chance of his own when he tried to go high over Propp, but put the puck off the crossbar.

The teams would to a shootout – the third of the season for the Petes, and second of the season for the Battalion.


Final shots were 32-19 in favour of the Battalion.

The Petes return to the PMC on Thursday, January 18 to host the Kingston Frontenacs at 7:05pm. Game tickets are available starting at $8 through the Collins Barrow PMC Box Office, online or, by phone at (705) 743-3561.

Petes Holiday Flex Packs are available while supplies last. Receive four regular bowl flex vouchers to be used between December 30 and January 20, as well as two Petes rocks glasses for just $59.99, a savings of over 40%.

More News
Meet the Prospects 2019: Ryan Cutler
3 days ago
Community First: Ian Armstrong explores the life lessons he learned with the Petes
4 days ago
Peterborough Petes Millbrook Pre-Season Game Tickets SOLD OUT
6 days ago
Peterborough Petes Millbrook Pre-Season Game Tickets On Sale Now
1 week ago
Meet the Prospects 2019: Chase MacIntyre
1 week ago
Peterborough Petes Nominated for Peterborough Business Excellence Award
2 weeks ago