Rough Start for Petes to Home-and-Home with Frontenacs

It wasn’t pretty in the Limestone City for the visiting Peterborough Petes as they fell 7-1 to the rival Frontenacs in Kingston on Friday night.

It didn’t take long for the Petes to find the penalty box, as Jonathan Ang went away for tripping just 3:02 into the game. 38 seconds later, Kingston’s Nathan Dunkley converted on the man advantage to give the Fronts their first lead of the game. Linus Nyman and Eemeli Rasanen were credited with assists.

The eldest Robertson, Jason, found the board next for the Frontenacs, who were clad in CADPAT jerseys in honour of Remembrance Day. Dunkley and Nyman added their second points of the night with 15:10 left to play in the opening frame.

After stripping the puck off of a Petes d-man, Tyler Burnie miraculously backhanded the puck from inside the faceoff circle over Dylan Wells’ shoulder. The 7:51 marker installed a 3-0 lead for Kingston, and sent Wells to the bench in exchange for Hunter Jones.

Jones stood tall to the first dozen shots he faced, but in an attempt to recover a rebound, funneled the puck into his own net to extend Kingston’s lead to 4-0. Paul Larabie received credit for the goal, with Brett Neumann and Jakob Brahaney picking up the helpers.

The Fronts solved Jones by their own hand with 26 seconds remaining in the period. Ryan Cranford, with help from Ted Nichol and Burnie, added to the turmoil by making it 5-0 for the home team.

Shots were 19-4 in favour of the Frontenacs after 20 minutes.

The Petes seemed to have more pep in their step as they took to the ice for the middle frame, but the Frontenacs continued to dominate the scoresheet.

Nathan Dunkley was the first Front penalized, at 7:47 of the second stanza. After Jones turned away a shorthanded breakaway chance, Nick Robertson had Peterborough’s best scoring chance to that point, but was turned away by Jeremy Helvig. The Petes managed a handful of shots with the extra man, but couldn’t capitalize.

The Frontenacs returned to their offensive ways at 13:08 of the second. Dunkley found Robertson, who passed to Nyman to add his third point of the night to bring the score to 6-0 for Kingston.

Declan Chisholm was called for an interference infraction at 14:50 before Austin Osmanski and Burnie were charged with roughing and unsportsmanlike conduct, respectively.

As Chisholm’s penalty ended, Sergey Popov scored lucky number seven for the black and gold. Neumann and Cranford tallied assists on the play.

The shot clock read 33 to 10 in favour of the Frontenacs as the teams headed to their dressing rooms.

It took 52:13, but the Petes finally found the back of the net. Rookie defenceman Adrien Beraldo netted his second of the season off a feed from Semyon Der-Arguchintsev, cutting Kingston’s lead to 7-1 with 7:47 remaining in the game.

The Petes were sent to a power play at 13:16 when Jacob Paquette was called for interference. They weren’t able to convert, though, meaning they’d go 0 for 2 with the man advantage on the night.

Kingston managed 46 shots towards the Petes’ goaltending duo, while Peterborough fired 19 at Helvig.

The Petes will return home to face the same Frontenacs on Sunday, November 12 at 2:05pm. A Russelle Toyota Skate with the Petes will follow. Game tickets for Sunday are available starting at $8 through the Collins Barrow PMC Box Office, online, or by at phone at (705) 743-3561.

Want to catch even more Petes action? Consider a 10- or 20-Flex Pack to get great flexibility and pricing! Don’t forget to download the free Petes Mobile App, available for iPhone or Android devices.


More News
Dec. 16/18 - OTT (3) - PBO (6)
5 hours ago
Petes Earn Early Holiday Gift with Defeat of First Place 67's
6 hours ago
FAST FACTS: Petes vs 67's - Dec. 16
23 hours ago
Dec. 14/18 - PBO (1) - GUE (6)
1 day ago
Downpour of Offense Overwhelms Petes in Guelph
2 days ago
Petes Acquire Defenceman Ryan Merkley from the Guelph Storm
2 days ago